Friday 4 November 2011

The sweet leaves of autumn

What colours are the fallen leaves of autumn? Brown? Gold? Yellow? Look closely, and you will see all those colours and many more besides: deep red, orange, scarlet ... even silver. So here is my tribute to the multicoloured spectacle that's at its height right now in the Northern Hemisphere - and also my contribution to the Sweet Leaves Blog Hop which starts its journey around the world at Sandy Diaz's blogspot here.

My leaves have been created using a variety of quilling techniques: closed coils, open and 'S' coils, wheatears, huskings and anything else that came into my head! Some of the strips are crimped, some are double-wound with complementary colours, and for the teardrop-shaped leaf I used a strip that's graduated from green to white. Autumn leaves come in so many shapes, sizes, colours and textures that they seem to provide an endless source of inspiration. Who needs written-down patterns for quilling when Nature provides so many of her own?



And the background for my leaves? This was digitally quilled in Photoshop Elements using 'virtual' quilled shapes which I re-sized, rotated and coloured on-screen to create a leaf-like printable background image. If you'd like to know more about digital quilling, please click here.

And now - on with the Hop! You're currently visiting Philippa's blog, Quilliance, at the end of the European section. You can continue your journey by referring to the 'route map' here:






22 comments:

  1. Philippa!!! Each quiller is showing such amazing projects and yours isn´t different. So elegant and so clean!! Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all the different types you have showcased
    Cheers
    Sonia
    cardsandschoolprojects.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always love and admire how you mix so many different techniques. It is obvious you love to experiment and sample and that you enjoy life to the fullest. Thank you so much for participating, Philippa! I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never need a written pattern for quilling...just follow and get inspired by Nature....a true example for ur words is U....lovely quilling Philippa...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such beautiful colours and so many techniques philippa. Looks gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW!!! I love the colors you have used first of all and the crimpled strip adds such a nice touch to the piece. I love it.
    You are so talented.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I admire your ability to play with colours..They're marvelous..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love to see all the different techniques combined into one design...and the colours are beautiful too! First time in my life I'm finding out about digital quilling! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved the colors and the shapes of leaves!
    Nati from Brazil

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful colour combination Philipa and the different techniques so perfectly matched. Lovely creation :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. so sweet and so beautiful I love it!
    Greetings Baukje

    ReplyDelete
  12. Philippa, my dear friend, it's lovely quilling. I've been away for some time but came back on your blog at the right time to see such colorful card.
    Nice trip I had so far.
    Lots of hugs!!!
    Suzana

    ReplyDelete
  13. beautiful colors, and lovely designs!!!
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely work!I like the combination of digital background and quilling. Best wishes from Romania!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful card, Philippa! I would never think of using silver but it is so true! Your leaf designs and techniques are lovely! I am going to check out your digital background. Thanks for sharing :)
    -Molly

    ReplyDelete
  16. Винаги оригинално и красиво!Поздрави!

    ReplyDelete
  17. very pretty and such beautiful colors.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very beautiful creation, nonconformist one, using many techniques for an spectacular result!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You're right, there really are so many different leaf shapes. So neatly done and colorful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very beautiful and colorful leaves! Love them! A sunny autumn!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your leaves are so unique, Philippa.
    Loved the colors you used

    hugs,
    susan

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails