Monday, 16 April 2012
A new quilled pin brooch - my entry for the Homyachok Challenge!
I'm taking a break from my regular market for a couple of weeks, which has given me the chance to catch up with making some quilled jewellery. This first piece I've made is a new pin brooch which is formed from pairs of conjoined-strip 'P' coils topped off by some little fleur de lys shapes which I made from tiny huskings. The colours in this piece are a bit crazy, but somehow the purple and orange seem to work quite well together and I think the finished brooch might also look good when pinned on to a black fabric. I'm always concerned about the durability of designs like this, so I've coated the outer edges of each shape with PVA glue to strengthen them, and then sprayed the whole thing with two separate applications of clear lacquer. Believe me, it's now one tough piece of filigree!! I'm going to see if I can sell this piece in our local gallery, and will let you know how I get on. Meanwhile, I have also entered this piece into the online Homyachock Challenge which, this month, is focused on quilled jewellery.
Here are a couple of other things I've made: