Wednesday 21 August 2013

A quilled mosaic

Quilled mosaic by Philippa Reid
Quilled mosaic, a photo by Philippa Reid on Flickr.

Here's the second of my two competition entries for the Quilling Guild's 30th Anniversary Celebration of Quilling in Liverpool, 10 - 11 August 2013. This time it's an abstract quilled mosaic, framed by squares containing two-tone 'beehive' swirls in black/white and grey/white. Inside the border are more composite shapes set within larger square 'ring coils' that I formed around the plastic box lid that came with my husband's iPod!

The whole design is basically 'tiles within a tile'.

You will see various solid coils and vortex coils throughout the design, plus rows of yellow half circles cut from ring coils, which I have positioned together to form a lattice.

Quilled mosaics are very much on my mind right now, as I think that square 'tile' building blocks like the ones I have used here could easily form the basis for many different quilled creations. This could definitely be the start of something ...

12 comments:

  1. This is very, very beautiful! Very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a valuable work!
    Loved the delicacy of quilling!
    Achievements!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, Philippa! What a coincidence that I too have had quilled mosaics swirling around in my head for a while! UNLIKE you, I haven't made anything yet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the look of this tile pattern, lots of work in it! Thanks for sharing your competition pieces. Beautiful!
    hugs from Texas xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Truly beautiful work Philippa.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Inspiring! Interesting way of using loose beehive, looks unusual.
    Lovely design and color accents! Cool :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. amazing .. you always have unique designs :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a beautiful creation! Every time when I look at it and my eyes become larger :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Superb all your work is beautiful
    Greetings Baukje

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely enjoy admiring your quilled geometrical patterns! They look so beautiful and inspiring!

    Happy Quilling!
    Manu

    ReplyDelete
  11. Philippa, that one is so extraordinary!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails