Thursday 21 October 2010

Quilling for two ... two years on!!

Here's an interesting statistic: out of every 10,000 human births, only 150 will be twins - so it's not altogether surprising that's it's taken me two and a half years to sell the 'Twin Girls' card that I've been taking every week to our village market.

But it did finally get sold last week, so today I settled down to make a replacement - pictured here.

Back in early 2008, I made three sets of 'twins' cards: twin girls, twin boys and 'one of each'. Looking back at them now, it's interesting to see how much my quilled card designs have (hopefully!!) improved over the years.

In those early days, I was struggling with hand-lettering, stencil cut-outs and quilling which was basic to say the very least!

Since then, I've discovered the magic of creating printed card backgrounds for my quilling using my Apple iMac computer - a technique which has led me on to producing photographic designs and so much more ... and I've never really looked back, until now.

Still, here's the original cut-out card that I've just sold (see below), and although I feel very critical of it today, the lady who bought it was full of admiration - so there you go!!

I wonder how many more months/years it will be before the boy twins come along?

8 comments:

  1. Dear Philippa,
    Very interesting your statement. This look back and compare the early work with the latest is also an exercise in memory and always comes the question: How was I to make this card? What was the point?
    Your cards are wonderful and like mine, represent their life stages.
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Nagela! Yes, it's good to look back and remember sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think both cards are lovely. It's funny though how we can look at our own work and not see the value in it that someone else can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your twins card. You earlier one is so very cute.I am not surprised that your costumer loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like both cards Phillipa but I must say the new one has really nice style to it. I also use my computer to do all of the printing on my cards...it is so much easier and the choice of fonts is unlimited.

    Sometimes when I look back at things I have made in the past I cringe but then it got us to where we are now.

    thanks for sharing
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ann, Suganthi and Cheryl - thank you for your kind and wise words! It's true that we cannot always see the value in things that others do - we are our own worst critics, I suppose!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both cards are very nice
    I agree with Cheryl, the process of change in our designs is all part of our development

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're absolutely right, Bronwyn, and I guess we've all come a long, long way with our crafts over the years.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails