Friday 22 October 2010

2D quilling - an extra dimension?

It's always fascinating to look at other quillers' work, and the various blogs I follow are a constant source of inspiration to me. Many of the projects  I most admire use layers of quilling to create texture and depth - but, because my quilling mostly ends up on greetings cards, it isn't always practical to adopt this particular approach.  Here in the UK, any item thicker than 5mm incurs an extra postage charge, so a design which has coils glued on top of one another is much more expensive to mail. (Not only that, but multi-layer designs can so easily get damaged in transit as well.)

Regular followers of Quilliance will know that I've recently started experimenting with using photos of quilling to produce a low-cost range of Christmas cards. (They're proving popular, by the way, and I've sold several packs already!) But this week I've had another idea: why not create the illusion of extra depth by putting real quilling on top of a photo of quilling?

So I started by creating this quilled motif (it's intended to be vaguely suggestive of an unfurling bud/leaves), which I have photographed for use as a background:


I printed this photo on to a card, and then added some 'real' quilling to look like a flower on top:



Voila! A design which looks just like multi-layered quilling, but without the physical extra depth which the real thing would have entailed. Using this technique I can use the same background for many different flower designs, and it will save time, too, because I've only actually had to quill it once!

Is this a useful new dimension in terms of 2D quilling? I'll be interested to hear what people think!

14 comments:

  1. That is a great idea and the finished card looks great. With the help of an editing program you can so easily change the colors of your photographed background too if needed. How totally clever you are :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Ann, that's a fantastic idea to change the colours of the photo background - I hadn't thought of that one!! I really appreciate your support and your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those're clever ideas from both of you. Why not combine two techniques that you're obvious good at, right?!
    Suzana

    ReplyDelete
  4. So very clever of you. I am impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Suzana and Suganthi - I'm glad you approve! Hopefully I'll be able to develop this idea some more ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a perfect solution to the mailing dilemma. I love your little quilled motif too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks very much, Ann. I love a challenge, and I must admit I was pleased with this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a brilliant idea! Unfortunately my photography is not as good as yours so you've got me thinking on some alternative ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll be interested to see what you come up with, Belinda! Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Philippa,
    Great idea!
    I was amazed with the effect. The depth is real. Not detected until I read your information. I also want to emphasize the quality of his photographs, fantastic!
    Congratulations on your creativity, pioneering spirit.
    A good week!
    Nágela

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's so kind of you, Nagela! I'm really glad you like the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic! Creative, inspiring, gorgeous!
    I've tried photography to copy my work, but have not been successful. Obviously it can be done and be very impressive.
    Thank you so much for giving me a kick in the brain to get back to work! You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, Shelly - that is so, so kind! All I use is a 'point and shoot' digital camera on macro (close-up) setting without flash, and I always try and position the work away from direct sunlight so that there are not too many shadows. Please be encouraged to have another go!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I also thought to make cards using quilling images, but didn`t put it in practice. Congratulations you already did it! Love inovations in quilling.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails