Thursday 22 March 2012

A 'beehive' birthday garland!

Well, here I am back again after a week of meetings, housework, markets and quilling demos! I don't know where the time goes, but at long last I have been able to get back to a little experimental quilling once again.


Today, I decided to make this card featuring a quilled 'garland' formed out of strips that have been twisted using the so-called 'beehive quilling' technique. I worked with 1.5mm strips for maximum delicacy (fiddly, but worth the effort!), and set about introducing some rows of swirls using a fine slotted tool.

For the stem of the garland, I kept the green twisted strip intact - but for the flowers, I snipped the twisted sections off my purple and white strips and glued the little curls at intervals along the stem. This resulted in a rather floppy garland which was obviously going to be difficult to glue, so I strengthened it by folding the stem back on itself in various places and applying glue in a few spots to hold the folded shape together.

I think the garland looks quite pretty as a complement to some elegant printed typography. This technique might also look good when used to decorate a box or picture frame. I can feel some more experiments coming on ...!

10 comments:

  1. Lovely and the colours are very sweet!Beehive got you too,it's very good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So simple and so beautiful! Imaginative use of beehive technique.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So nice of you to show us how you made this beautiful garland , Philippa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW your quilling looks like a gentle breeze-- soothing and relaxing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a beautiful creation!
    I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Красива картичка!Винаги харесвам твоите нови идеи!Поздрави!

    ReplyDelete
  7. that garland is so pretty. It looks perfect on that card

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone for your very kind comments. I try to reply direct to everyone whose e-mail address is listed on Blogger ... for those who aren't, please know that I appreciate your comments very much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow, that's beautiful done. Very delicate

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails