Sunday, 14 November 2010
A new quilling idea takes flight
Like the holly leaf in my earlier post, I made the main wings out of two simple open teardrop shapes (made using crimped strips). To create the 'pinstripe' infill effect, I glued down some short lengths of leftover strips in parallel on a piece of card, and then cut out two sections that would fit within the teardrops with the help of a cardboard template.
When assembling the butterfly, I stuck the body down first, and then put the wing infills in position using sticky pads to raise them up a little bit above the surface of the card. Next, I put the crimped teardrops around them. I think raising up the infills on the pads makes them look better connected to the wing outlines than if I had glued them directly to the card. Finally, I added the the lower wings made from two conventional teardrop coils.