Monday 5 December 2011

Something quilled and bright for Christmas

I came across an interesting idea on The Quilling Guild's Facebook page last week. Jane Jenkins (yes, THE Jane Jenkins who has published so many inspiring quilling books!) posted some examples of alternate side looped huskings she had made. However, instead of gluing the loops in place, she left them loose and dropped each husking into a ring coil where the loops could release themselves 'at will', resulting in some attractive 'chevron' patterns.

I thought I'd give this a try, but also decided to encourage my husking to unfurl a bit more randomly (following the 'quilled scribble' principle). Then I decorated the end result by putting a few quilled shapes in contrasting colours between the folds.

The result is a crazy Christmas card design which I'm quite sure no-one will ever want to buy, but I enjoyed the process of making it (which is probably all that matters!) I've matted my husking on to a scallop-shaped cut out, then mounted the whole thing on to a printed background. The 'greenery' sprig at the top right was digitally quilled for printing.

Well, at least it brightens up a grey December day ...



7 comments:

  1. Love ur new thoughts and ideas and the way u r executing it...nice quilling..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it turned out great, love the design !!!
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  3. How pretty! Love the layers and use of bright colors!!
    Hugs, antonella :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. very beautiful creation!
    Greetings Baukje

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice. I love how you just keep finding more and more inspiration wherever you look

    ReplyDelete
  6. very interesting effect! it looks like a red Xmas tree!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails