Tuesday 25 January 2011

A floral canvas for quilling

Last year I did quite a bit of quilling with crimped strips, and decided to return to the technique when creating this new card. When you roll a crimped strip, the resulting coil has so much extra texture and remains fairly tight even when you have released the tension, which is great. I love the fact that you can easily create teardrop and marquise shapes with these crimped coils, and I think they make beautiful flower petals.


The background for this card comes from a photo I took last year featuring a beautiful display of sweet peas and other summer flowers. But - you guessed it - I've been playing with Photoshop Elements again, and managed to create a kind of 'brush strokes on canvas' effect with the image. Please don't ask me which filter I used, because I can't remember! (It may have been the 'spray strokes' one, but I got so excited by the visual effect that I forgot to note it down!!)



Anyway, I thought it made a lovely colourful background, and I've added a little drop shadow outside the circular frame on this card for added effect. Then all I had to do was add some quilled flower petals and leaves to echo the colours in the picture.

6 comments:

  1. Philippa,
    I loved it.
    The colors are harmonious and different textures on paper make the cutest quilling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is very pretty. Don't feel bad about not remember what effect you used. I do that all the time. I try out several different ones, go back, change things, combine effects and when all is said and done I have no idea what exactly I did...lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another lovely background. Love the colours you have used.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think these are some of my favourite colours. But we'll see what they think down at the market!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always love the backgrounds you use, wish I could travel as you do cause I love taking pictures to and would love to use them as backgrounds to, you are very inspiring!
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think we can inspire one another, Paula. Your latest vase picture is great!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails